Indulgence
a deadly sin, a fatal drug

Food Intake Assessment
5:23 PM
Food Intake Assessment
Today, I calculated my dietary intake for three days, from the 14th to the 16th of February.

I used the Health Promotion Board tools like the RDDA(Recommended Daily Dietary Allowance, Food Intake Assessment and Nutrient Composition of Foods.
(Note: Dietary allowance is calculated from the age, gender and weight.)

These are the results obtained:


Again, I apologise for the unclear photos as graphs are not possble to post on Blogger): Sorry, but you'll have to click on the photos, then zoom. Or save them and then enlarge. Sorry!

According to the results, my RDDA is 1851 kcal. My average daily intake is 1326 kcal, thus I have not fufilled the reqirements of my recommended daily dietray intake. Also, my intake of saturated fat, sodium and cholesterol were too much. My intake of dietary fibre and calcium were too low. To conquer these factors, I need to:
  • Cut down on foods that contain most fat such as, flavoured rice(e.g. chicken rice, nasi briyani), creamy foods and cocnut-milk based foods.
  • Reduce my salt intake, such as soya sauce and flavourings and instead, use natural seasonings like herbs or spices.
  • Eat enough vegetables to get enough fibre and remember to have 2 servings of fruits and vegetables each daily. Wholegrains are also recommended.
  • Replace some meats with bean products or vegetables and cut down the number of eggs eaten as eggs contain high cholestrol. If really necessary, try to limit to only eating the egg white.
  • Consume calcium-enriched breads/biscuits and green, leafy vegetables. Tofu, milk and ikan bilis are also good sources of calcium. Staying outside in the sun for at least 30-60 minutes a day is also essential as the vitamin D in sunlight helps our body absorb calcium.

Also, exercise is very important to maintain a healthy lifestyle. It helps to burn fats, tone your muscles, relax and sleep better and also keep you alert for you to study better! When shopping for food, look out for products with the Healthier Choice Symbol as those products are lower in total fat, saturated fat, sodium and/or dietary fibre content compared to other products in similar categories.


The Healthy Food Pyramid can also serve as a guidance for us to eat what we require daily and is easier to remember for busy people neglecting their meals. Its unique shape also helps people to remember what they should eat more of and what to eat less. The foot of the pyramid represents staple foods and is the widest so more of that should be eaten once a day as compared to the peak of the pyramid, which represents fats, sugar and salt, and should be seldom consumed.

After looking at my dietary results, I realised I have ate quite a lot of foods containing the things represented at the peak of the pyramid, which should be sparingly consumed. Also, I consume very little servings of fruits and vegetables, which is not a very good sign as they contain essential dietary fibre.



After calculating my RDDA and IDA and analysing my diet using the above tools, I will proceed to modifying a dish in my three-day diet so as to make it healthier, keeping in mind the healthier methods of cooking and/or ingredients and also, the nutrients that I have learnt about that makes up our diet.
profile tagboard affiliate post